I am now assembling the Thank You Packets for 18 event sponsors for an event I just finished.
Often the people who approve the thousands of dollars for the sponsorship do not attend the event. I’ve heard from these sponsor buyers that it’s not unusual to buy event sponsorships and not get what they were promised, or never know whether or not they received the recognitions listed on the sponsorship agreement.
A Sponsor Thank You Packet makes sure they know what they received.
These packets remind me of the marketing guru who said the hang-tags on high-end clothing — those large brand-identifying tags you have to cut off — are the industry’s most important marketing piece. They remind you that you made the right decision; you bought quality and style; it was a good investment. No buyer’s remorse for you! In fact, you’ll want buy again from this source!
That’s how I see sponsor Thank You Packets.
Sponsor Thank You Packets contain
• A sample of every place the logo was printed or posted
• Photos of banners, employee participants, booths
• Samples of letters with sponsor logo panels
• Print-outs of ads and webpages
• Copies of Schedules or Programs that display logos
• Copies of announcer scripts that mention the sponsor
• An event shirt, especially if it displays logos
• Photos of happy, market-niche event-goers
Delivering these packets personally to the person who approved the sponsorship gives you the chance to shake her (or his) hand, to say thank you in person, and to tell them how important their sponsorship was to your event and your mission. (I don’t create a DVD. I don’t email a PowerPoint report. I don’t believe these are watched.)
Yes, this does take a serious investment of time. But I request only a 15 minute meeting, and I hold to that timeline. I show them the pictures, tell them what a great presentation their staff made, point out their logos in the print media they care about. I ask if there’s anything we could do better? And I take notes if they have any ideas or issues.
The last thing I say is “ …thank you again. We sure hope you’ll do this again next year!”
In my experience, more than 85% of the time they say, “Absolutely!”
That’s sponsorship renewal in a happy 15-minute meeting.
Take-aways for you:
• Track what you do for your sponsors
• Compile a packet of samples
• Tie it with a simple bow & deliver it
• Smile. Shake hands. Tell them how much you appreciate the sponsorship